Charlotte Skyline

Charlotte Skyline

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I made your sorbet, limone.

Buon giorno,
The gelato factory i went to yesterday was, as I had very much suspected, just the back room of the Gelato place we were shown the other day. Another student and I got to make Limone Sorbetto, not gelato, but it's okay, I guess. We squeezed half a liter of lemons, added 2 different types of sugar along with some water, mixed, and dumped it into the mixer machine, which then twirled around, scraping ice into the mixture until it became sorbet. It was delicious, if I say so myself, pictures will be posted sometime... We were stranded for a bit in the gelato store because it started to pour, for the second time in three or so days, but we didn't mind because we had gelato. But, now I have to redo my laundry because I had clothes out on the balcony, waiting to dry. lame.
We've made friends with the waiter who served us our first meal in Sorrento. Funny guy, he has the best lines for luring in the patrons. He's helped us perfect some of our Italian phrases.
Every Tuesday, a type of farmer's market is held in Sorrento, half an hour walk up a hill from our place, a lot farther than we thought. They sell clothes, fruits, vegetables, candy, bread, meat, etc.. stuff you'd find at any farmer's market, but much cheaper. I got some fruits and pastry things. The guys that sell the pastries load your bag up with what ever you point to, even if you say you only want a little.. Aimee's total came to 8 Euro, yikes. We then went to class and learned about plurals.
Last night, I was determined not to get a new mosquito bite, so I wore long pj pants and covered myself up to my head with the bed sheet. I awoke an hour later to the sound of a buzzing insect and itchy/painful fingers. I also realized that my eyelid felt very heavy. I turned on the light and saw that the little fucker got my left pinky and right thumb, along with my right eyelid. Needless to say, my right eyelid is puffy and uncomfortable and my thumb is numb. MOTHERTRUCKER. This was the same eyelid that got bitten when I went to Nanjing in the Fall, where my entire right side of my face swelled up. This time, I took some Benadryl right away, and the swelling isn't as bad, but still swollen. fucking bugs.
Sorrento is a beautiful place, but filled with tourists. It's an expensive place to live and I'm beginning to question the soundness of my choice to go here for school. The program we're on is much more disorganized than I ever thought any UC program could be and there's almost zero accountability when it comes to where our money has gone. But I digress, this is a fun blog.
The views here are amazing, especially from our balcony. Out of the four apartments where students of our program are staying, our's has the best views. The front balcony has a view of the main square and the ocean. And the rear balcony (yes we have 2 balconies) has a view of the mountains and our neighbor's yards. I'll definitely have to post pictures of those soon.
I must apologize for the lack of photos. I did not bring my laptop with me and I'm still debating whether or not these computers we're using have the capacity to upload the amount of photos I have. Soon though, soon.
We're in the midst of planning our weekend excursion, hopefully we can come to a concensus about where we want to go. I'm rooting for Sicily.

Ciao my friends!

Next: Weekend excursion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie!!! Reading your blog makes me hungry. :( It sounds like youre having a lot of fun! I hope you get back soon though. Your mom is going a little crazy without you here, and bumble is feeling the full force of her affection. 0_0