Charlotte Skyline

Charlotte Skyline

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mooncakes, Volunteer Work, Good Saltines

Another Wednesday night/Thursday morning, up writing the weekly paper for developmental economics. So naturally, I'm on xanga blogging. And before, I even caught the season premiere of Heroes on tvlinks. The day before (9/25) was 中秋節 (Mid-Autumn festival, or rather Mooncake day). A bunch of us had Korean BBQ and the place gave us moichi (non-ice cream) and mooncakes (strange flavored ones). Didn't think I was going to do anything else for the night, so I planned to finish my homework. But, of course, something came up and ended up going to a 中秋節party at someone's apartment. These were all UC students so it was a beer and mooncake filled night. Played a little beerpong and a lot of drinking games. Got back at 2am and couldn't believe how full the moon was and how clear the sky was. We normally can't see any stars in the Shanghai sky, but unbelievably we saw the big dipper and orion's belt constellations. It was a beautiful night sky to say the least. I then had to wake up for an 8am class, which I did wake up for, but decided I was too "sick " to go. I guess beer and night air disagree with my throat because now I have an irritating dry cough. I really don't want to get sick in China, much less right before the National Holiday.

Wednesday I was supposed to spend doing homework, but saw some people I know get on a bus, so I got on with them instead of eating. Don't worry, it wasn't completely random. They were on their way to an orientation to volunteer at a migrant workers' childrens' school. I've been looking for something to do since I'm only taking classes right now. So volunteer work is perfect. We took the subway all the way to the end (opposite from Shanghai South Railway station) to the boonies of Shanghai. Completely different from the rest of Shanghai, rundown, dusty, not modern. The school was in the middle of the rundown residences. When we went through the gate, two rows of little kids holding pompoms greeted us with 歡迎關臨 it was the cutest thing ever. I wanted to take one. The orientation consisted of the principal introducing the school to us and explaining to us how he got to create the school with no government help. We then got a tour of the school which is just one building surrouding a courtyard. All the kids kept looking at us while smiling and waiving, with the occassional, "HALLO!" so cute. Like I said, I wanted to take one. I have the opportunity to teach English on Tuesdays and play with the kids of Fridays. I think I'm going to really enjoy this, and earn a few karma points. Volunteer work where you get to see the result of your contribution is the most satisfying.

I got back and lounged in my room for a bit before going to another Korean restaurant where I spilled my cold noodle soup all over my lap. My shoes smell like kimchi. I took a much wanted shower and watched Heroes. And now I'm blogging and snacking on some delicious Saltine crackers. I hesitated in eating these because they're all carbs and it's 1am, but I'm hungry and working. I'm glad I opened them because they were the best Saltine crackers I've had in a long time.

Okay, I guess it's back to the paper. Starting school off on the right foot, right people? Have Fun!

P.S. Expect my aggressive soliciation for donations for the kids' school in the future. You are now forewarned, get those pocket books out. Please.

No comments: