Charlotte Skyline

Charlotte Skyline

Monday, September 17, 2007

Shanghai Part One

These are old blogs from my time "studying" in Shanghai. I decided to move them over from Xanga in the hopes that they'll be of more use here...



I think I've decided to blog about my time in Shanghai, or else I won't remember much of it later.

I'm supposed to be studying right now, but this free internet shouldn't be wasted so here I am. There's a typhoon coming tonight. It's supposed to be the biggest one to hit Shanghai in a long time. and here I am in this cafe, which serves the best pork masala sandwich I've had in a long time. I hadn't noticed this cafe before, even though it's only a block from our dorms. I'm glad I went in though, it's a nice place to surf the web with a cup of chai.

So what have I been doing with my time abroad. We started classes three weeks ago and there is so much reading to be done already. The one economics class I'm taking has a paper due every week, keeps us accountable for the reading, which is good I guess. The other classes just have a lot of reading and the professors must have a Masters in boring the crap out of their students, because I've managed to zone out for at least 2 hours of every 3 hour class. I can't say that I've been keeping up on the reading though, just the Econ ones. However, I'm actively trying to make it up right now. Besides this little break to blog. The walks to class are killer. The Foreign Student Dormitory is located in this North most part of campus and the classes are in the South most. Makes for good exercise I suppose, except its hot and humid most of the time. The weather, besides the typhoon, has been clearing up as of late. It'll be fall soon and the weather should calm down.

I've been craving non-Chinese food lately, which has led me to a variety of different Korean restaurants, lots of stone pot rice and kimchi. The other day we even went to a Mexican place, the burritos were dinky looking and they used red bean in their nachos (weird), but the quesadilla was probably one of the best quesadillas I've ever had. We then went to an American diner. The blueberry pancakes were gigantic and even our resident eater couldn't finish it. The banana split was good though and the fries came with all sorts of different sauces, including tomato curry.

The places I've been to around Shanghai have included a lot of tourist attractions and shopping places. The most notable being the bund at midnight and Xintiandi, the trendiest place you can go in Shanghai I suppose. We ate at a German brewhouse (Paulaner Brauhaus) in Xintiandi and I had a munich lager with my mom (my parents were here for 2 weeks). It was the best lager I've ever had, which I suppose doesn't say much coming from me, but it was really good, none of that bitter taste I associate from most brews. On the way to the bund, we walked through West Nanjing Lu and there was a Chinese idol concert going on, we only caught the fireworks at the end, but those were awesome. I've been able to buy a lot of stuff from the usual TongYang market place, cheap designer knockoffs, which makes me happy. There's a dvd place near the dorm that has a decent selection of older cds and I got Fleetwood Mac: Greatest hits for 15RMB, which translates into about 2 bucks, best two bucks I've ever spent, love the music. And I also bought a bunch of dvds, that's a given.

Well, that's it for now, I really should get back to reading. If you miss me, drop me a line (comment)! haha

No comments: